Search the Synapse

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

It all starts with a book...

Yes, it's cliche, but for me, very true. It all started with Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain.

My senior year of high school, my AP Psychology teacher recommended this book to me, and, as the music fanatic I am, I eagerly picked it up. It wasn't the neuroscience, it wasn't the psychology, it was the music that first attracted me. Back then, I was reading What to Listen for in Music by Aaron Copland, and The Mozart Guide, and some history of western music book. I was, in short, a music nerd. (...still am.) I was totally unsuspecting of how it would draw me into a field I never knew I never knew: music and the brain.

Musicophilia proceeded to open my eyes to This is Your Brain on Music by Levitin, and later Proust was a Neuroscientist by Lehrer, within a few months. And now, here I am today.

So I must warn you: Unless you want to become a crazy fanatic over music and the brain matters, do not read this book!

Read Musicophilia on Google books

Related link:
Blogging for a Good Book: A Suggestion a Day from the Williamsburg Regional Library
~about Musicophilia

No comments:

Post a Comment